Sunday, February 17, 2008

Being Far From Home

Today, being Sunday, is a day of rest for us: no meetings, no debates, nothing to write or plan. I have had the chance to catch up on emails and texts from home, and to read up on the events that are unfolding thousands of miles away from Rome in Manila.

It is tough being away from home at a time of crisis. Part of me wants to be there, as things are happening that may affect the future of our country. My fellow board members from the AMRSP (Association of Major Religious Superiors) have been texting me all morning, telling me about Manoling Francisco's powerful homily in La Salle, expressing a wish that I was there with them. Of course, I wish I was there too.

This is the second time this has happened to me in the last few months. Last November, 2007, I was here for a meeting of the Preparatory Commission, and I was awakened in the early hours of the morning by texts informing me of the events at the Manila Pen. Now, in February 2008, I am once again in Rome, unable to participate or make a contribution, except through messages of solidarity and through prayer.

What strikes me now, however, is that this will be the way it will be for me in the next few years.

As this fact strikes me, three reflections come to mind. First, there is liberating realization that I am not indispensible. This is not false humility, but a freeing sense that God can do what he wants to do for our country, without me. Reading various statements from home, such as the statement of SLB or Manoling Francisco's powerful homily, I rejoice to see my brother Jesuits, my fellow religious, my fellow Filipinos responding with passion, courage and intelligence to the present crisis. I feel called to a deeper detachment from self, and a purer trust in the resources of our people and God's grace.

Second, I realize that my new assignment includes a call to widen the scope of my concern. Yes, many things are happening in the Philippines. But here in Rome, among my brother Jesuits from all over the world, I hear about the struggles of so many other peoples and nations. My new assignment here thus involves an invitation to widen the horizons of my heart, so that my concern reaches out to the political unrest and hopelessness in East Timor, to the senseless violence in Kenya, to the daunting battles against mining and enviromental degradation in Bolivia, in Zambia-Malawi, in India--to name but a few concerns that I have heard my brothers speak about in the past week.

Finally, I believe the Lord is reminding me that I can help my country from here by ministering in some way to the Filipino migrant workers here. There are 40,000 OFW's in Rome alone. This coming Thursday evening, I am giving a recollection again for the leaders of the 48 Filipino communities here. In the past year, whenever I was in Rome, I would say Sunday Mass in the Center for Filipinos in the ancient Church of Santa Pudenciana. I was always struck by how easy it was to bring the congregation to tears. Perhaps because of the difficulties of their situation, the tears of our people are so near the surface, so that the slightest word of hope or sympathy, the most modest reminder of God's compassion and care, is enough to open the flood gates.

There is, after all, a way to serve even though one is far away from home. I pray that I may accept these invitations readily and generously.

No comments: