Thursday, April 2, 2009

Lenten Reflection Series, 3 April 2009

PRAYER ON THE EVE OF ORDINATION

As you read this excerpt from a lovely prayer written by the great Karl Rahner, please join me in praying for my Jesuit brothers who will be ordained to the priesthood this Saturday, April 4, 2009: Reverends Javy Alpasa, Francis Alvarez, Jason Dy, Ody Dy, Frank Savadera, and Robbie Sian. 

"The bishop will lay his hands on me. And then, still silent, he will take them from my head. But Your hand, O my God, will still remain upon me.

Your hands will remain upon me.

The hands of the Omnipotent, gentler than a mother's hands . . .

And finally the bishop will take my hands in his hands, and I shall promise the Church obedience and loyalty: exacting and unwavering obedience, selfless obedience, obedience in a which a man forgets his life in work that matters more than he does . . . Behold, I lay my hands in Your hands, my God. So take my hands and lead me: through joy and grief, through honor and disgrace, in labor and anguish, in my ordinary life and at great moments, in the holy stillness of Your house but also on the long, dusty roads of the world. Lead me today and always, lead me into the kingdom of Your eternal life. "


--Karl Rahner, SJ

No comments: