Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Our New Provincial

This evening, I lose my car.

The new Provincial, Fr. Jojo Magadia, who will be installed in office tonight, will get it.

That is how some of my relatives sum up the essence of my handing over of responsibilities as Provincial to my successor.

Not so accurate, perhaps.

These past days, Jojo and I have been meeting daily. We have gone institution-by-institution, community-by-community, person-by-person. We touched on hopes and ongoing concerns. As we talked, I felt more and more compassion for Jojo as this enormous burden was being placed on his shoulders, but also an ever growing sense of gratitude for his generous availability and an equally deep sense of trust that the Province is blessed in having him as the new Provincial.

In him, the Province is getting someone like Barnabas: “a good man, filled with the Holy Spirit and faith.”  (Acts 11: 24), a Jesuit of quiet simplicity, deep kindness, evident centeredness and self-possession, love for the poor, not to mention his intelligence and other leadership gifts and experience.

We pray in gratitude for our new Provincial. Let us ask the gracious Lord, the Good Shepherd to bless him with wisdom, strength and joy, and to always remind him that, as he carries the flock entrusted to him, the Lord himself, the merciful and faithful One, carries him always.

No comments: